Which PCR machine?

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Mon Oct 10 23:40:35 EST 1994

> In article <4OCT199415385941 at bioch.tamu.edu>, jnelson at bioch.tamu.edu (John
> Nelson) wrote:
>
> > The laboratory that I work in is interested in obtaining a good PCR
> > machine that can stand up to a lot of use.
>
> We use a Hybaid Omnigene in my lab and love it

i used to use the Hybaid down the hall (which our lab paid half of) but
after awhile i seemed to be getting rather odd results.  i could run
parallel experiments in adjacent blocks (they have 3 set up) and in the
same block one after the other and get very different results.  i'm aware
that this could be attributed to a number of things but i made all
reasonable attempts to control other factors and still had problems
(sometimes).  i know of others who had similar results, but also of people
who've used it for 2 years with no problems, so....

my personal choice for a thermocycler would be the Perkin Elmer 9600 if one
had unlimited resources.  their Thermal Cycler 480 is excellent as well but
the control of the 9600 is far superior to the 480.

just my 2 cents (and no connections to PE/ABD or Hybaid or anybody but the
folks running my dept.).

eric
--
*Of course it's not true...         *
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)862-2435 (home)
660 s. euclid box 8103                           (314)362-7058 (FAX)
st. louis, mo 63110