Optimisation of Hair Extraction Protocol

Mike Morris mike at divsun.unige.ch
Tue Oct 11 09:52:44 EST 1994

Hi,
  Sometime soon (!), I will get round to doing hair extractions (I
work on mitochondrial DNA mutations, and it's very useful to be able
to analyse different tissues).

  I intend to purify the DNA with Prepagene matrix. I am confident
that this will work and that it will have a good yield, from my
experience with it in other systems (I have no connection with Biorad
- I just think this stuff is wonderful). Lysis will be in 6M NaI, as
usual (I think you can also lyse in guanidine).

  A thought - it might be interesting, before lysis (obviously), to
rinse/incubate briefly in a DNase solution, to "clean" the sample of
potential contaminants. What do you think?

  Mike
Michael Morris PhD
Division of Medical Genetics       tel (Switzerland) (22) 702.56.94
CMU, University of Geneva          fax (Switzerland) (22) 702.57.06
Geneva, Switzerland                email mike at medsun.unige.ch