NaAc precipitation

Sherri Fraser sfraser at ACS.UCALGARY.CA
Wed Oct 12 14:41:07 EST 1994

We've been finding recently that when we precipitate DNA with
sodium acetate (pH 7-8) with ethanol that when we add the
ethanol, the sodium acetate (we think) precipitates out and
leaves us with a huge pellet.  It doesn't seem to be a problem if
the sodium acetate solution is new. We've noticed this with at
least three different sodium acetate solutions we've made up by
two different people.  I've also used these solutions for
cleaning up DNA after alkaline lysis DNA preps with no problems.  It only appears when
we do sequencing or when we clean up after dephosphorylation.
	Can anybody give suggestions?
Thanks in advance
-----
Sherri Fraser