pulse field gels

shelly may deane shelly at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Thu Oct 13 09:24:52 EST 1994

I need some advice as to what pulse parameters to choose in order to get
large MW DNA fragments to migrate out of the wells on the Geneline Trans
Alternating Field Electrophoresis system.  I can successfully separate
fragments in the 150 - 1500 kb range using 1 min pulses at 150 mA for 18 h,
but I notice I still have DNA in the wells under these conditions.  The
Geneline system uses 6 day runs at 30 mA and 90 min pulses to separate out
yeast chromosomes of 3000 - 9000 kb, but this is not applicable to my
restriction digests of bacterial DNA for which the largest fragments should
be about 2500 kb. Most of the references I come across are for various other
types of pulse fields, so if anyone out there is familiar with the TAFE
system specifically, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Email to shelly at molbiol.uct.ac.za

Dr Shelly Deane   Microbiology Dept.  University of Cape Town
"It is costly wisdom that is bought by experience" R. Ascham.