EXONUCLEASE III

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Fri Oct 14 14:48:43 EST 1994

In Article <9410140015.AA08126 at cscgpo.anu.edu.au>, Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
wrote:
>>In Article <37h0se$6hd at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Michael Austin Roberts
>><mar at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>Dear Subscribers
>>>
>>>A perhaps niave question from a novice: will Exonuclease III cleave blunt-
>>>ended double-stranded DNA at both ends?
>>>Any advice would be appreciated.
>>>

>>>Mike Roberts
>>>

>>No, Exo III does not digest from blunt ends.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>    Tracy
>
>? since when?
>
>We have been doing that for years.
>
>Am I missing something.
>
>Cheers, Klaus

>Klaus Matthaei
>Head, Gene Targeting                            |           |
>The John Curtin School of Medical Research      |  _--_|\   |
>The Australian National University              | /      \  |
>Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia       | \_.--._/<<|
>E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au               |       v   |
>Landline: 61 6 249 3782
>                        "Sometimes I'm the Louisville slugger"
>                        "Sometimes I'm the Ball"
>                                Dire Straits

No, you aren't missing anything, I am. I made a big mistake here, no doubt.
I guess my memory has faded over the years; thanks for correcting me.
However, your response could have been a little more informative. Is is true
that EXO III digests dsDNA from both ends (the original question)? The
answer is yes (3'-5' direction?). Sorry for the fumble, I hope it didn't
ruin your day.
    Tracy