ss DNA expression in Mammalian cells

Richard heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Sun Oct 16 19:20:32 EST 1994

In article <37n05b$67h at redwood.cs.scarolina.edu>, g_wenck at spike.psc.scarolina.edu writes:
> Concerning whether or not single stranded DNA will transfect, I recently
> read two articles which show that it does and with a high efficiency of
> stable integration:
> Plant Molecular Biology 13:711-719 1989 (obvious plant related)
> Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 83:5587-5591 1986 (mice)

The original post related to cloning into M13 and maintaining the ds plasmid,
if I got the jist of it.  M13 doesn't have a eukaryotic origin of replication,
and so won't be able to replicate in mammalian cells - either as double or
single stranded ... will it??  I believe there are vectors available which
allow maintenance in both eukaryotes and prokaryotes, maybe one of these would
have an f1 ori (to allow production of the ss DNA).  If not, maybe you could
add it ... or add a mammailian ori to M13?

Richard