teflon tape

Klaus Salger salger at wap18.zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Oct 18 14:54:22 EST 1994

JoeJoe (parsons at METEOR.BIOTECH.CDC.GOV) wrote:
: In article <vescip.1132458746A at usenet.rpi.edu>, vescip at rpi.edu (Paul A. Vescio) writes:
: >In Article <MAILQUEUE-101.941013132759.288 at Oberon.HSC.Colorado.edu>,
: >COHRS-R at Oberon.HSC.Colorado.edu ("Randall J. Cohrs") wrote:
: >>Hello out there -
: >>
: >>We seal the glass plates for sequencing gels with teflon tape.
<snip>
: Hello,
: 	Recently, our ABI rep finally convinced me to try pouring a gel without
: tape on the bottom (we use large binder clips for the sides).  I was surprised
: to find that not only did it work, but it was easier, too--no bubbles.  The
: plate is poured with a continuous front running down.  The plate is kept
: slightly tilted--not too steep--pour slower--until the front reaches the
: bottom of the plate.  Then it is laid flat until the acrylamide reaches the
: top.   This seems to go more smoothly than when poured down one side to the
: bottom, then across the plates.  Perhaps this is due to the way the glass
: plates are "poured?"
<snip>

I'd like to add, that this method does also work fine with normal sized
(about 62x20cm) gels, not just with the short ones.
Cheers
  Klaus

--

Klaus Salger