teflon tape

Klaus Salger salger at wap18.zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Oct 18 14:54:22 EST 1994

JoeJoe (parsons at METEOR.BIOTECH.CDC.GOV) wrote:
: In article <vescip.1132458746A at usenet.rpi.edu>, vescip at rpi.edu (Paul A. Vescio) writes:
: >In Article <MAILQUEUE-101.941013132759.288 at Oberon.HSC.Colorado.edu>,
: >COHRS-R at Oberon.HSC.Colorado.edu ("Randall J. Cohrs") wrote:
: >>Hello out there -
: >>
: >>We seal the glass plates for sequencing gels with teflon tape.
: Hello,
: 	Recently, our ABI rep finally convinced me to try pouring a gel without
: tape on the bottom (we use large binder clips for the sides).  I was surprised
: to find that not only did it work, but it was easier, too--no bubbles.  The
: plate is poured with a continuous front running down.  The plate is kept
: slightly tilted--not too steep--pour slower--until the front reaches the
: bottom of the plate.  Then it is laid flat until the acrylamide reaches the
: top.   This seems to go more smoothly than when poured down one side to the
: bottom, then across the plates.  Perhaps this is due to the way the glass
: plates are "poured?"

I'd like to add, that this method does also work fine with normal sized
(about 62x20cm) gels, not just with the short ones.

Klaus Salger
Zoologisches Institut
AG MacWilliams
Luisenstr. 14