VOLATILE BUFFERS FOR COLUMN CHROMATOGRAPHY

NICHOLAS THEODORAKIS ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Tue Oct 18 13:04:57 EST 1994

In article <092ellbj.5 at chiron.wits.ac.za>,
Bruce James Ella <092ellbj at chiron.wits.ac.za> wrote:
>I am fractionating the low molecular weight proteins in serum on a G50
>Sephadex column. After which I need to freeze dry the 6 fractions but remove
>the salt concentration such that the sample can be added to cell medium.
>I figured that elution of the samples from the column with a volatile
>buffer, eg ammonium formate or carbonate, would be the answer. Can any one
>help?

It sounds like you already know the answer.  This should work, provided
your protein of interest is stable in your buffer and to lyophilization.
Many years ago, when I was a tech., the lab I worked in did the final
step of PDGF purification by chromatography over BioGel P-100 in 1 M
acetic acid; we then pooled and lyophilized the active fraction as you
describe.

					Nick

--
			Nick Theodorakis
			ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
			Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, MD