Transfection of neuronal cell lines???

Michael Poidinger mikep at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 20 14:52:15 EST 1994

In article <pha5ec.11.0009FFF0 at leeds.ac.uk> pha5ec at leeds.ac.uk (CARPENTER E.) writes:
>From: pha5ec at leeds.ac.uk (CARPENTER E.)
>Subject: Transfection of neuronal cell lines???
>Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 10:01:03 +0100 (BST)

>Hi!
>I've got a question.....

>Has anybody achieved a high percentage of successfully transfected NEURONAL
>cells (transient or otherwise) using a CMV promoter and beta-galactosidase
>expression as a marker??

>I'm using a neuronal cell line NG-108 15 (mouse neuroblastoma X rat glioma)
>and no matter what I do to the parameters in a liposome-mediated transfection
>protocol (lipofectAMINE from GIBCO-BRL) I can't get more than approx 1% of
>cells transfected. Has anyone out there successfully tranfected NG's before
>and if so which method did you find most useful? We have considered using
>electroporation - Has anyone got any experience of electroporation being more
>successful v. liposomes on certain cell lines?

In my old lab we were transfecting HTB11s and N2as, human and mouse
neuroblastoma cell lines respectively.  Both responded very well, with ~50%
transfection when electroporated.   Given this efficiency, and the low cost of
electroporation compared with lipofectin, I cannot answer for the latter as we
never tried it.

Mike

Dr Mike Poidinger
Microbiology, UWA       ==> Animal Welfare NOT Animal Rights
Australia                  ==> 668, the neighbour of the beast
mikep at uniwa.uwa.edu.au  ==>Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana