EtBr-again

Yasha Hartberg Yasha at bioch.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 21 09:21:21 EST 1994

In article <kkammiov.52.2EA75CC4 at viikki21.helsinki.fi>,
kkammiov at viikki21.helsinki.fi (KARI KAMMIOVIRTA (MMKAB)) wrote:

> What happens if I use EtBr only in sample loading buffer (RAPD analysis)?
>
> I've used it in gel and buffer or stained gel afterwards, but never heard
> that its been used in loading buffer. I'm going to try it unless somebody
> convinces me that its no use.
>
> Kari

I imagine that you might just end up having to stain your gel again
afterward.  EtBr being positively charged and all, it will migrate in the
opposite direction of your DNA.  I suppose that it's possible that the
intercalation will be strong enough that some of the EtBr will remain bound
to the DNA, but I still think you'll lose most of it to the buffer rather
quickly.

At any rate, give it a try.  What's the worst thing that can happen?  At
most you'll have to restain your gel in an EtBr bath.  The experiment is
such a small investment of time with no risk so let us know the outcome.

Yasha Hartberg
Texas A&M University
"If people want to spend their whole lives creaming and tweezing and
brushing and tilting and gluing, that's really okay too, because it gives
them something to do."  Andy Warhol