Long gel dryers

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Oct 21 20:52:54 EST 1994

>On 19 Oct 1994 13:10:42 -0700,
>  "Frederick Garbrecht" writes:
>
>>How do you dry 60 cm sequencing gels?  I can't find a gel dryer long
>>enough to accommodate such a long gel.  Any hints welcome.  Thanks
>
>If you wash your gels, release them from the plate during the wash,
>carefully lift out of the wash bath (on the plate) and cut with a fresh
>scalpel blade. use a downward cutting motion, don't try to pull it through
>the gel. As you go, tease the 2 sides of the cut apart to see where you are
>cutting. Cut so that you have a large bottom section of gel, small top
>section. If you cut cleanly, you can cut right through the middle of bands
>and see the 2 halves of the tracks on the autorads of the 2 bits of gel.
>(honest). You can cut after transfer to filter paper. If you do this make
>sure you wet the blade (you can use scissors but make sure they are very
>sharp and try to dry the paper as much as possible before attempting to
>cut, and you may risk crushing the gel on the cut line).
>DAJ
>
>David A. Johnston
>Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
>South Kensington, London SW7 5DB. England
>(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ac.uk)

We cut the gel in half as well (we run 80cm Biorad IPC's), but we place a
piece of gladwrap (saranwrap) over the gel and cut through the lot with a
sharp scalpel blade.  If you now remove one half of the gladwrap you can
pick up one half of the gel with 3mm for drying without moving/tearing the
other half.  And yes, if you cut through a band you can see it on both
halves of the autorad.

Cheers, Klaus

Klaus Matthaei
Head, Gene Targeting                            |           |
The John Curtin School of Medical Research      |  _--_|\   |
The Australian National University              | /      \  |
Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia       | \_.--._/<<|
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au               |       v   |
Landline: 61 6 249 3782
                        "Sometimes I'm the Louisville slugger"
                        "Sometimes I'm the Ball"