ECL for colony hybridization

Rinkei Ko ez034381 at chip.ucdavis.edu
Fri Oct 21 16:51:23 EST 1994

I routinly use ECL non-radioactive DNA labeling system (Amersham) for
Southern. Recently, I used same system for colony hybridization in order to
clone a gene of interest. Instead of getting specific signals for the colony
which has right plasmid, I got signals on all the colonies (False-positive).
I wonder if this system is not suitable for colony hybridization because of
non-specific protein-protein interaction, or washing condition was not
stringent enough to avoid non-specific bindings. Anyone who are familier with
this system, please give me some comments and suggestion. Thank you.

Rinkei Ko: rko at chip.ucdavis.edu