DNA/phenol problem

Michael Cooley szcooley at dale.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 27 11:02:29 EST 1994

Andre Hamel (hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:

: Regarding NaOH-SDS plasmid preps (Birnboim & Doly) ... is the NaOH stock
: stored in plastic? ... better NOT be stored in glass, elsewise conc of
: hydroxyl increases along with Na-Si ppt ... buggers up more than just alk
: lysis preps.

: Regards phenol ... include 0.1% hydroxyquinoline (yellow powder) ...
: yields yellow phenol that will oxidize less rapidly ... also, phenol best
: stored frozen (in convenient sized aliquots ... several 1, 5, 10 & 50 mL
: aliquots, depending on volumes used at a time).

: cheers,

: Andre Hamel                                    email: hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
: Manitoba Government				tel: 204/945-7630
: Department of Agriculture  			FAX: 204/945-8062
: Veterinary Services Branch
: Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA

This is a real strange thread. I have never buffered my phenol for
plasmid preps and have never had a yield problem. Also I have always
stored my NaOH in glass and never notice any buggered up preps.