Does no polyadenylation site mean no polyadenylation?

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at
Thu Oct 27 22:45:02 EST 1994

In article <9410262354.AA0143 at>, rr at BMMB01.UMESCI.MAINE.EDU writes:
> We have a genomic clone from Phytophthora infestans that looks normal in most
> ways.  It lacks a polyadenylation site, however, within 800bp or so of the stop
> codon. Do we infer that the mRNA is not polyadenylated?  Any pointers to
> relevant references appreciated.
> Robert Roxby                                    rroxby at

Could there be a downstream non-coding exon, much further away, that contains
the poly_A addition site?  3' anchored PCR would answer this, and also
demonstrate whether polyA RNA existed using a cryptic site downstream of your
stop codon.

NNNN   NN  Martin A Kennedy (E-mail = mkennedy at  ZZZZZZZ