silica based DNA extraction

jxu.internet{jxu at MIT.EDU} jxu.internet{jxu at MIT.EDU}
Thu Oct 27 17:00:43 EST 1994

  To: methods-and-reagents at net.bio.net
  From: jxu at MIT.EDU (Jinghai Xu)

Hi,

I am trying to purify 50bp - 5 kb DNA fragments out of agarose by silica
particle based DNA purification method.  I found that Qiagen's Qiaquick and
QiaEx kit only give me 20% recovery on pBR322 (4.3 kb size).  I haven't tried
GeneClean kit and Compass kit, but I do know that they are more expensive than
QiaEx kit.  Can you tell me which one of these or other similar kit offers
consistently good recovery regardless of DNA size variations?

Thank you!

Jinghai

Division of Toxicology
MIT