ECL for colony hybridization

dpetersn at dpetersn at
Mon Oct 24 22:09:38 EST 1994

In article <MURIANAP.11.00096EA4 at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU> MURIANAP at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU (Pete Muriana) writes:
>Subject: Re: ECL for colony hybridization
>Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 09:25:53

>In article <Pine.SUN.3.90.941021142929.9254A-100000 at> Rinkei Ko
><ez034381 at> writes:

I, too, had such problems, until I realized that I was no longer using nylon
membranes.  I had gone back to the normal nitrocellulose circle filters I
had used previously (Before DIG came to be) without realizing that the
chemiluminescent reactants are repelled by nitrocellulose.  Check your
manual to get a better description of this phenomena

>>I routinly use ECL
non-radioactive DNA labeling system (Amersham) for >>Southern. Recently, I
used same system for colony hybridization in order to >>clone a gene of
interest. Instead of getting specific signals for the colony >>which has right
plasmid, I got signals on all the colonies (False-positive).>>I wonder if this
system is not suitable for colony hybridization because of>>non-specific
protein-protein interaction, or washing condition was not >>stringent enough
to avoid non-specific bindings.>>Rinkei Ko: rko at