Homemade GeneClean kits ???

Marc Goldstein ez001427 at dale.ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 30 18:21:27 EST 1994

fnord (jpa6r at faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU) wrote:

: 	I was told that some labs make their own reagents for
: silicon based DNA purification (i.e., GeneClean kits) including the
: glass beads. Does anyone know of any protocols?  I would appreciate
: any pointers to the original literature describing the method.

: 		Thanks,

: 			jpa6r at virginia.edu

: --
I've never made the glass beads before, but I have had opportunity to
make up a batch of the sodium iodide.  First time I tried it, my yield
was terrible.  I was then recommended to filter it through a very thick
layer of glass fiber filters.  After doing this, the solution worked just
fine.  I presume there is a contaminant in commercially available sodium
iodide that interferes with the DNA-glass binding.  Filtering through
GFFs titrates out this contaminant.

Marc Goldstein
Section of plant Biology
University of California Davis