Stability of Heparin

Ramanujam Raman raman913 at uidaho.edu
Mon Oct 31 15:10:07 EST 1994

Dear Netters,
I have been using Heparin as non-specific competitor in my gel-retardation
assays at the concentration of 10 ug per 15 ul reaction.  I had made up
a 20 ug/ul stock about 6 months ago and had it stored at 4^C.  I have had
very good specifc shifts so far. Unfortunately, it isn't working now. In
the process of trouble shooting the problem, I was wondering about the
stability of heparin at 4^C.  Is this storage temperature ideal for heparin
in solution?  Or does it need to be at freezer temperatures? Also, if anyone
out there has been using it for gel-retardation assays, is there preference
for any particular salt of the compound? I have been using the sodium salt
of heparin.

Another thing that I would like to know more about is the function of this
compound.  I know that being a highly polyanionic compound,it mimics DNA
and binds proteins that non-specifically bind DNA. Further insight into the
mode of action of this molecule would be very appreciated.

Thanking in advance,

RAM.