Spontaneous Spectinomycin resistance ?

Rafa Maldonado Rafael at genetics.med.utah.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:01:43 EST 1994

In article <CvGJv9.I7 at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>
jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (the End) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am seeing a relatively high rate of acquisition of spectinomycin
> resistance in the E. coli strain I am working with (CSH20 from Miller's
> old kit). It appears that all cells in a cuture are somewhat resistant,
> and that 60 or so colonies will form from approximately 100 ul of
> competent cells spread on a plate.
>

> Anyone else see this ? Any relevant knowledge of mechanisms ?

Jim, some mutations in rRNA give resistantce to spc. If you select
antibiotic resistance of amynoglucosides, slowly with increasing
concentrations, you'll finally find resistants. It's no very
surprising. Anyway, CSH20 must be spc(s)...

Rafa
Rafael Maldonado
Howard Hughes Medical Insitute
University of Utah