Sequencing using infrared tags

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Fri Sep 2 18:00:01 EST 1994

In <341tq5$5ng at mustang.alleg.edu>, akleinsc at bio7.alleg.edu (Ann Kleinschmidt) writes:
>I am interested in obtaining the name of the company that manufactures a
>automated sequencing apparatus that uses infrared detection rather than
>requiring the use of fluorescent tags.  Any information about this system
>would be appreciated.  You can email your responses directly to me at
>akleinsc at alleg.edu
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Ann Kleinschmidt
>Assistant Professor of Biology
>Allegheny College

The company is LI-COR, Biotechnology Division, P.O. Box 4000 (4421 Superior Street),
Lincoln NE 68504.  Their number is 1-800-645-4267.  If you have any questions about
the instrument, the technology, or the chemistry, ask for Abe Oommen.  Abe got his
Ph.D.  with me and did a post-doc with Rick Dixon before going to Li-Cor.  Li-Cor is
the leader in infrared detection systems for plant sciences (CO2 monitors, etc.)  and
has had a sequencer under development for a number of years.  The company is friendly
and responsive, and the technology is rock-solid.

We have just bought a Li-Cor for our core facility.  The first run, right out of the
box, it read about 900 bases (600-700 with auto-read and another 200 with manual
assist).  And base-calling goes on simultaneously with gel reading!  The technology
is truely beautiful:  the infrared laser is a solid-state diode, and the detector is
a miniaturized confocal microscope with solid-state detector cells.  Both components
fit in your hand.  Some advantages are that:  infrared allows use of ordinary glass
plates; laser lifetime is 10-20 times longer than visible laser (10-30 years vs.  1-2
years) focussing detector means that different thicknesses of gel can be used (0.1 mm
to 1 mm); adjustable gel sizes means many different applications can be accommodated.

| Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu     |
| Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939           |
| University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321           |
| 2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces  |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya  |