MW Markers for RNA gels...

Douglas Rhoads DRHOADS at MERCURY.UARK.EDU
Fri Sep 2 07:37:34 EST 1994

> To:            methods-and-reagents at net.bio.net
> From:          u8908594 at muss.cis.McMaster.CA (M.J. Principe)
> Subject:       Re: MW Markers for RNA gels...
> Date:          1 Sep 1994 17:01:08 -0400

> In article <00983D38.375E2780.230 at umbsky.cc.umb.edu>,
> SPIKE <5978jsnyd at UMBSKY.CC.UMB.EDU> wrote:
> >
> >I will be running in vitro transcripts out on polyacrylamide gels and need to
> >use molecular weight markers. How accurate is it to end-label DNA markers with
> >polynucleotide kinase and 32P-ATP and use those?  Do I heat them first to
> >denature them?  Are there better methods?  Thanks in advance for your help!
> >
> What we do is use cold pre-stained markers, and prior to exposing them to
> the film, we dot them with a fountain pen containing ink and tailings
> from old 32P tubes. Makes for a radioactive ink, which we cover with
> Scotch tape (to prevent smudging on the film).

Rather tan make up 32P ink you may want to try going to your local
Artists supply store.  Pick up a tube of glow-in-the-dark glue such
as is sold for use on Sweatshirts.  This glue has glitter and a
yellow tint to it.  You can spot the stuff on plastic, dried gels,
paper, etc.  A few minutes to dry in the light and then load on film.
 The glow is a nice low-level green and just right for giving a nice
black spot on the film.  The stuff is cheap (about $1.50), readily available and
works.

Doug Rhoads                  || Dept. of Biological Sciences
drhoads at mercury.uark.edu     || 601 Science Engineering
drhoads at uafsysb.uark.edu     || University of Arkansas
501-575-3251                 || Fayetteville, AR 72701