Subcloning dirty PCR products

Bernard Heymann bheymann at
Sat Sep 3 12:14:31 EST 1994

In article <34a0ilINN1k8f at>,
krasel at (Cornelius Krasel) wrote:

> The hypothesis offered by the authors is that the Taq polymerase sticks
> strongly to the DNA. Since agarose electrophoresis is not denaturing for
> proteins you would expect the polymerase to co-migrate with the DNA.
> Even denaturing of proteins with phenol seems to leave Taq polymerase
> on the DNA.

I routinely purify my PCR fragments with diatomous earth in 4M GuSCN before
restriction with reasonable success. I always assumed that either Taq pol
would be denatured or at least removed from the fragment. Is there anybody
out there that have some information about this?

Bernard Heymann
bheymann at