Reuse of Qiagen columns

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Tue Sep 6 12:53:12 EST 1994

In article <94249.123903LVM3 at psuvm.psu.edu>, Lakshmi Madabusi
<LVM3 at psuvm.psu.edu> wrote:

> Recently someone had posted an article on how to wash the Qiagen columns
and re
> use them. Could I get the information about the procedure on the net
again.Than
> ks Lakshmi

I think that this was the best reply, it came from Amos (nestgrp at world.std.com).

Several of you have inquired as to why Qiagen or Macherey-Nagel suggest a
limited period of time within which to reuse your cartridges for plasmid
preps.  This is the explanation for Nucleobond and since the products are
nearly identical, separate patents not withstanding, the explanation will
fit both.

The products are silica based and as such the elution conditions of pH >
8.0 would dissolve the silica in the matrix upon long storage at these
conditions.  With the normal allowance for German English translation,
the reasoning on a 3 hr or one day period is the following:

1.  less than 3 hrs will assure silica will not have dissolved if you
nonchromatographers have left the cartridges in the high pH buffer.
2. less than assumes that you washed the cartridges with at least 5
column volumes of water and equilibrated the cartridges in the pH 6.3
buffer and then left the cartridges around.  The one day would assure
that the cartridges would not have dried out or formed air pockets which
would prevent good access to the surface chemistry, which would result in
lower yields.
3. you could wash the cartridges off with ethanol:water 50:50 and store
them and when ready to reuse repeat the wash prior to equilibration with
the binding buffer.  This would prevent bacterial growth on storage, it
would wet the surface for intimate contact of the buffer and would lower
your cartridge consumption.  Do you really think they want you to do that?

If you want to try the Nucleobond, give me a call 800-347-6378.

Regards,
Amos (nestgrp at world.std.com)

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical Center
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu         LandLine: 401-456-6572