gel pull off

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at
Wed Sep 7 10:51:19 EST 1994

In article <34iq39$9h8 at>,
dmitry at (Dmitry Zharkov) wrote:

> Hi All,
> I recently had an interesting trouble with 12% PAGE. When I started pre-run at
> 1500 V, 50 mA, after about 10 min the gel was pulled off from the top of
the plates
> into the upper reservoir. When I repeated and pre-ran gel at 500 V, this
did not
> occur; however, when I increased a voltage, it was pulled again. I never
> experienced it with 20% gels (with 8M urea, in both cases). What might be a
> cause?
> Thanks for explanations!
> D.Zharkov (dmitry at

I've only had this problem when I oversiliconized my plates.  I've found
that if you wash your plates with something like comet after you first
siliconize them, you can avoid this problem.

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical Center
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at         LandLine: 401-456-6572
A man said to the Universe: "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the Universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
      -- Stephen Crane