use of BSA in EMSA supershifts

grgmj at picr.cr.man.ac.uk grgmj at picr.cr.man.ac.uk
Wed Sep 7 09:04:29 EST 1994

Hi - I'm currently trying to supershift an E2A gene product from a nuclear
extract and having problems.  The Ab is from NBS Biologicals and has been well
used in the literature but the publication of methods seems sparing. I've
noticed the use of BSA in reactions "to top up protein amounts". Is this
as some sort of blocking agent a la Westerns or is there some other function
I'm missing? I'm going to try it out anyway tonite and I'll let you all know
if it miraculously works. If anyone has handy hints about these assays in
general I'd love to know! Thanks.