RT in taq

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Wed Sep 7 15:58:57 EST 1994

In Article <199409021840.OAA22887 at medlib.iaims.georgetown.edu>,
nmusto01 at gumedlib.dml.georgetown.edu (NEAL MUSTO) wrote:
>Tracy;
>In a word "contamination". We experienced a similar thing andit turned
>out to be a contaminated OLIGO. Some plasmid containing the cDNA we were
>interested in, and generally used as a positive control, somehow got in.
>No matter how we trerated our samples the band showed up. Had to throw
>out our stocks. Look in to that aspect
>Neal Musto
>Cell Biology
>Georgetown University

Thanks for your input. I have since found numerous references citing
significant RT activity in Taq polymerase. As it turns out, this is what has
been happening in my so-called negative controls, as I suspected. Thanks to
everyone who replied so promptly.

Tracy Aquilla, Ph.D.
Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
University of Vermont