RNA tips

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Sep 8 17:06:44 EST 1994

In article <34nqf2$dkt at cdc1.cdc.gov> parsons at METEOR.BIOTECH.CDC.GOV writes:
>Hello,
>	I am looking for some tips on working with RNA.  Specifically, I would
>like to know how people treat their plasticware.

Pipet tips and microfuge tubes straight from a new bag should be RNAse free.
To avoid contamination of the samples by aerosols fromthe micropipetter, I
either use a positive pressure pipette or "filtertip" pipette tips that
contain an aerosol blocking matrix.

>ANY other tips, suggestions, or reflections are
>welcome.  I have been having a problem with degradation in the formaldehyde
>gels I have been running and am seeking advice on how to do it right!

If all your solutions are made with DEPC-treated ddH2O, then the only
remaining culprit would be the gel unit.
If it is made of chloroform resistant material you can just wipe it with a
chloroform-soaked kimwipe and let it air-dry (USE THE FUME HOOD FOR THIS)
If it cannot be cleaned with chloroform, you have to treat it with dilute
DEPC (described in Maniatis et al)

>parsons at meteor.biotech.cdc.gov    DISCLAIMER: I speak for me, not the CDC.

Annette
ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu