RNA tips

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Fri Sep 9 08:01:21 EST 1994

In article <34o1tl$1un at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
(Annette C. Hollmann) wrote:

> In article <34nqf2$dkt at cdc1.cdc.gov> parsons at METEOR.BIOTECH.CDC.GOV writes:
> >Hello,
> >       I am looking for some tips on working with RNA.  Specifically, I would
> >like to know how people treat their plasticware.
<<<<Delete>>>>>

> If all your solutions are made with DEPC-treated ddH2O, then the only
> remaining culprit would be the gel unit.
> If it is made of chloroform resistant material you can just wipe it with a
> chloroform-soaked kimwipe and let it air-dry (USE THE FUME HOOD FOR THIS)
> If it cannot be cleaned with chloroform, you have to treat it with dilute
> DEPC (described in Maniatis et al)
> Annette
> ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu

We generally treat our gel boxes and combs with 0.1 N NaOH overnight and
then wash them to neutrality with DI water (Most of the times this is DEPC
treated water but as pointed out by another resopnder, if your water
system is in good shape this is probably not necessary.)

As far as plastic goes, it is safe to assume that virgin plastic is free
of RNases

I presume that your fomaldehyde and formamide are deionized.  If not, you
might try doing that.

Hope that helps

SRLasky

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical Center
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu         LandLine: 401-456-6572