pcr

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Tue Sep 13 12:17:37 EST 1994

Juan C. Mendible (UCV) (jmendi at conicit.ve) wrote:
: Hi, we are planning to teach a course on the use of molecular probes y clinical
: diagnostic. We will certainly appreciate any input on the different PCR kits
: that are being use for cancer genes, patternity, etc.
:
: Thanks,
:

The DQalpha typing kit that Perkin Elmer makes is a work of art. We use it in
our intro Biochem lab, and the students usually get it to work (amplifying
their own DNA from hair roots, purified using Chelex) the first try. Detection
is quick, non-radioactive, and easily interpreted. A tad expensive, perhaps,
but I think it would be valuable, particularly for students in clinical
medicine, to see this elegant procedure in action.

Bob Horton (Ph.D.!)   /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790