Cell cycle analysis kits

Michael Strehle michael.strehle at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Sep 13 11:33:22 EST 1994

In article <351grg$5in at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk (Graham
Atherton) wrote:

> I am about to analyse the progression through the cell cycle of several
> cell lines. I will use DNA content (propidium iodide) and count on the
> FACS as a first approach to estimate any changes in the G1/S phase
> boundary. Tjis I believe is a crude method and may not give a definitive
> result when comparing cell lines and their progression through the cell
> cycle. A better approach may be via bromodeoxyuridine incorporation -
> anyone know of a good kit to do this? We would like to analyse the results
> through the FACS.
> Thanks
> Graham Atherton
> grgta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk

Well, for a start you might try to get your hands on this book: "Methods in
Cell Biology, Vol. 33 - Flow Cytometry", ed. Darzynkiewicz/Crissman,
Academic Press 1990. It contains several chapters on the use of BrdU in
cell cycle analysis- from quite simple approaches to sophisticated
techniques as "BrdU-Hoechst 33258-EtBr bivariate analysis". With the latter
you can distinguish up to three different "cell cycle generations" in one
sample, if I remember right.
Regards,
Michael Strehle
michael.strehle at uni-konstanz.de