Liver RNA Prep Needed

D.Greeve <DAEMON> darreng at ccmar.csiro.au
Mon Sep 19 02:53:46 EST 1994

In article <Cw8ox7.Ar6 at crash.cts.com> rcdana at crash.cts.com (Richard Dana) writes:

>Having trouble with  avian liver RNA prep, need protocol. Brain, and
>heart and skeletal muscle preps are contaminated with DNA but have good
>yield. What can I do to minimize DNA contamination and obtain good liver
>RN for cDNA library construction.

>Richard Dana

Richard, I was having trouble with sheep liver/uterine/muscle RNA extractions.
I assume though you are looking at extracting mRNA, not total RNA as I was.
Try using the "Bresatec" RNA extraction reagents eg. Ultraspec or RNAzol B.
They seem to reduce yields slightly but clean up all DNA/Protein
contamination. From here I would guess that a CsCl prep to separate the mRNA
would be the way to go.

Darren Greeve.