Linear polyacrylamide as an alternative to glycogen carrier

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 08:34:08 EST 1994

Hi Folks,

Thanks to those who gave me the reference for the above (NAR, v18,
p378, 1990).

My only query is how toxic is acrylamide when polymerised (without bis
acrylamide). Linear polyacrylamide is made by polymerising a 5% acrylamide
solution in 40mM Tris, 20mM Na acetate, 1mM EDTA pH7.8 together with
1/100 vol of 10% ammonium persulphate and 1/1000 vol. TEMED. When the
solution becomes viscous (about 15-30mins) ppt polymer with 2.5volumes
EtOH, centrifuge and redissolve pellet in 20 vol. water O/N. Use 10ul
(25ug) per EtOH pptation. It works great and is inert, unlike glycogen,
but is it nasty? Anyone know?

Duncan

Duncan Clark                        | Internet:    duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
G4ELJ                               | Compuserve:  100015.1406 at compuserve.com