ABI sequencers with Genpak seq kits

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Wed Sep 21 14:50:54 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep19.105136.26013 at oxvaxd>, kclark at immsvr.jr2.ox.ac.uk
(Kevin Clark) wrote:

> Has anyone else tried the Genpak M13 dye primer sequencing kits for the
> ABI 373A sequencer. I bought one a few months ago to try because they
> only cost 180 pounds vs. 460 for the ABI kit.
>
> I found out it was less than half the ABI price because it gave half
> the sequence read length! and mis-called approx 2 bases per hundred for
> the same template with ABI. Does anybody else have experience with
> these kits and did you get equivalent sequence results to the ABI kits?

i haven't tried these kits, but i'm not surprised.  my guess regarding the
reason that it didn't work is that the dyes that ABI puts in their kits
(and to which the filters are tuned in the machine) are proprietary.  when
you use the other kit, you are probably using a kit with dyes that are just
close to the same color as the ABI dyes which gives you mis-reads.  the
short length could be a number of things which may or may not be related to
the dyes.

eric

--
*Of course it's not true...         *
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)862-2435 (home)
660 s. euclid box 8103                           (314)362-7058 (FAX)
st. louis, mo 63110