Making buffer

Anthony Tomlinson tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 09:46:16 EST 1994

In article <ckuan.779407885 at sfu.ca> Min Kuan, ckuan at kits.sfu.ca writes:

>	This may be embarrassing...oh, well!
>
>	Can anyone tell me the simplest method of making a buffer solution?
>For example, the method of making a buffer solution of
>
>		0.05 M formate, 1 M NaCl, pH 3.0
>
>Or you know a good book on the topic, please tell me.
>
>	Thanks in advance.   :)
>
>Min.

Is this a joke?  If not:
Read Molcular Cloning - A Laboratory Manual, 2nd Edition, by Sambrook,
Maniatis and Fritsch (Cold Spring Harbour).  For the above buffer, weigh
out the formic acid and the NaCl, add water to 800ml (if you're making a
litre) and pH with conc. HCl and a pH meter.
If you're in a lab (you must be) then there should be people/books there
already.  Sigma catalogues etc are also useful reference books, and
Promega and USB do catalogues-cum-protocol books too.

Anthony (puzzled!)