periplasm signal sequences

Robert C. Colgrove robin at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 22 13:22:42 EST 1994

I have made some expression vectors to make viral evelope protein domains
in E. coli (in parallel with eukaryotic expression vectors to make the
complete proteins). I think these may be more likely to fold right if
they are secreted and more easily harvested if retained in the periplasm.
My question is whether anyone has experience with a good signal sequence
to target recombinant proteins there.
Just as a quick and dirty attempt, I tried to use the native eukaryotic
signals but that didn't work so I figured I better go back and do it
right.

Thanks
Robin Colgrove