Linear polyacrylamide as an alternative to glycogen carrier

Frances Hannan Zoology flh at
Fri Sep 23 09:42:31 EST 1994

Duncan at (Duncan Clark) writes:

>My only query is how toxic is acrylamide when polymerised (without bis
>acrylamide). Linear polyacrylamide is made by polymerising a 5% acrylamide
>solution in 40mM Tris, 20mM Na acetate, 1mM EDTA pH7.8 together with
>1/100 vol of 10% ammonium persulphate and 1/1000 vol. TEMED. When the
>solution becomes viscous (about 15-30mins) ppt polymer with 2.5volumes
>EtOH, centrifuge and redissolve pellet in 20 vol. water O/N. Use 10ul
>(25ug) per EtOH pptation. It works great and is inert, unlike glycogen,
>but is it nasty? Anyone know?

My guess is that since it's polymerised it's OK. It's the UNpolymerised
stuff that we have to watch out for.

Frances Hannan
BILMS, Zoology, Downing St, Cambridge, CB2 3EJ, UK
Phone (0223)336663, FAX (0223)461954
flh at