Reversible PCR termination possible?

Jim Cook jimcook at panix.com
Sun Sep 25 14:12:57 EST 1994

I would like to obtain PCR products of a defined length from a mixture
of DNA's, starting at a common sequence and ending in an area where
there are no homologies.  I know I could add a low level of dideoxy
ITP to the reaction and get products of the desired length off a gel,
but then I couldn't add a poly A tail to prime a complementary strand.

Does anyone know of an ITP analog with a reversibly blocked 3' OH that
the Taq polymerase would recognize -- and that could be unblocked under
conditions that wouldn't trash the PCR products?