help with 5' race

Peter J. Neame pneame at com1.med.usf.edu
Sun Sep 25 13:33:22 EST 1994

Eric C. Anderson (anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu) wrote:

: i have tried both the Gibco kit and one from CLONTECH.  both of these kits

Ditto on the Clontech kit. We've used it for a couple of proteins where
we wanted to check that the N-terminal wasn't preceded by anything other
than a signal sequence. In both cases, we got about 200 bp of sequence
upstream of the N-terminal. Our 3' primers were in the region 100 -200 3'
of the N-terminal and were not significantly degenerate.

One caveat; the 3' end of the PCR product is liable to be the best
quality. We have only sequenced 3' -> 5' (direct sequencing of the PCR
product) due to "fuzziness" for the PCR band. Of course, if you clone the
PCR product ....

Good luck

Peter

Peter Neame