Linear polyacrylamide as an alternative to glycogen carrier

Dietmar Tietz Dietmar.Tietz at agrar.uni-giessen.de
Mon Sep 26 02:45:08 EST 1994

On 23 Sep 1994, Frances Hannan wrote:

> Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk (Duncan Clark) writes:
>
> >My only query is how toxic is acrylamide when polymerised (without bis
> >acrylamide). Linear polyacrylamide is made by polymerising a 5% acrylamide
> >solution in 40mM Tris, 20mM Na acetate, 1mM EDTA pH7.8 together with
> >1/100 vol of 10% ammonium persulphate and 1/1000 vol. TEMED. When the
> >solution becomes viscous (about 15-30mins) ppt polymer with 2.5volumes
> >EtOH, centrifuge and redissolve pellet in 20 vol. water O/N. Use 10ul
> >(25ug) per EtOH pptation. It works great and is inert, unlike glycogen,
> >but is it nasty? Anyone know?
>
> My guess is that since it's polymerised it's OK. It's the UNpolymerised
> stuff that we have to watch out for.
>
> --
> Frances Hannan
> BILMS, Zoology, Downing St, Cambridge, CB2 3EJ, UK
> Phone (0223)336663, FAX (0223)461954
> flh at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk

                             W A R N I N G

The polymerization efficiency will probably not exceed 95%.  So you
will still have toxic monomers in solution which have to be removed,
i.e., by dialysis.  This is also the reason why one should not touch
polyacrylamide gels.  Acrylamide is a cumulative neurotoxine. One should
also beware of its dust when preparing mixtures.

*           Dietmar Tietz, Ph.D.,  Research Scientist            *
*            Biostatistics, Justus-Liebig-University             *
*            Ludwigstr. 27, D-35390 Giessen, Germany             *
*                  Phone: +49-(641)-702-6015                     *
*                   Fax: +49-(641)-702-5995                      *
*              Email: Dietmar.Tietz at Uni-Giessen.de               *