PCR w/ capillary tubes

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Sep 27 21:25:20 EST 1994

>There seems to be some real advantages to using capillary tubes for PCR. The
>only company that I've been able to locate that sells a thermocycler for
>rapid PCR with capillary tubes is Idaho Technology. Are there any others?
>Has anyone tried building their own?
>
>Shiao Wang
>University of Southern Mississippi

I have been using a capillary cycler from Corbett Research here in
Australia for many years with excellent results.  It sounds a bit like the
Idaho machine (that I have not used) except it uses positive displacement
capillary pipettes (plastic) which don't require the addition of BSA like
the glass (Idaho) ones do.  It also requires no oil.

I can amplify a 500bp fragment single copy gene from genomic mammalian DNA
in about 40 minutes.

I can post more information if there is interest.

(No disclaimer: I know John Corbett well, but that doesn't stop his machine
from performing well).

Cheers, Klaus

Klaus Matthaei
Head, Gene Targeting                            |           |
The John Curtin School of Medical Research      |  _--_|\   |
The Australian National University              | /      \  |
Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia       | \_.--._/<<|
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au               |       v   |
Landline: 61 6 249 3782
                        "Sometimes I'm the Louisville slugger"
                        "Sometimes I'm the Ball"