DNA sequencer

Michael Poidinger mikep at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 29 12:11:46 EST 1994

In article <b137795.196.2E89726A at mailserv.cuhk.hk> b137795 at mailserv.cuhk.hk writes:
>From: b137795 at mailserv.cuhk.hk
>Subject: DNA sequencer
>Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 13:40:59 GMT

>Dear Bionetters,

>We are going to purchase a DNA sequencer.  We would appreciate if anyone can
>comment on the machine that they are using.  Thnak you very much.

>ming chiu Fung
>e-mail: mingchiufung at cuhk.hk

We use an ABS 373A  sequencer which when it is working really gives no
problems.  It breaks down about 1/month, usually in the middle of a run so
that you lose the entire gel, not to mention samples and about $200 worth of
reagents

I have heard tell of a lab in Cambridge that has 4 of these things and never
has all 4 running at once.

My advice: A working DNA sequencer takes a lot of time and hassle out of
sequencing, but requires a department with good infrastructure and
maintainance money that they are prepared to spend on a maintainance contract
with ABS

Mike

Dr Mike Poidinger
Microbiology, UWA       ==> Animal Welfare NOT Animal Rights
Australia
mikep at uniwa.uwa.edu.au