Extraction of DNA from agarose gels

futers at biovax.leeds.ac.uk futers at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 29 05:21:01 EST 1994

In article <GABRE.40.2E87E76D at wwg3.uovs.ac.za>, GABRE at wwg3.uovs.ac.za writes:
>Hi,
>
>We are currently looking for an efficient and fast method for the isolation
>of DNA fragments from agarose gels.  We experienced problems using low
>melting point agarose and was looking for a method where one can use normal
>agarose.
>
>thanx
>  Gabre Kemp

The quickest method I know is as follows:-
    1. Cut band out of agarose gel.
    2. Put into 1.5ml tupe and freeze in liquid nitrogen.
    3. Place frozen agarose slice onto a piece of Nescofilm.
    4. Squeeze between finger and thumb and as the liquid is
       squeezed out, collect with a pipettor.

  You are left with only a small amount of agarose in the Nescofilm
and you should get a high recovery of the DNA which can be used
directly in ligations etc.
           Hope this helps,
                  Simon Futers (futers at biovax.leeds.ac.uk)