about filber digestive GENE(s)

Andre Hamel hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Sep 29 13:30:42 EST 1994

I'm assuming that the posting had a typo error ("filber" versus fiber) ...
cellulolytic bacteria (bacteria capable of metabolising celloluse, such as
cellulomonas) are responsible for ruminents being able to digest
foodstuffs high in fiber (cellulose) such as grass, hay, etc ... large
dinosaurs likely had such symbiotic/commensalistic relationships with the
little beasties 8^) ... thus, to pop the necessary genes into animals
wouldn't be trivial (pathway of enzymatic events).

cheers,

Andre