Northern blots

Ed Stephenson estephen at biology.as.ua.edu
Thu Sep 29 12:45:09 EST 1994

We've been having trouble with Northern blots that I think we've traced to
the RNA not staying on the filter. After transfer and baking, there's
plenty of RNA on the filter as determined by methylene blue staining, but
none on duplicate filters after hybridization and washing (methylene
blue staining as per Sambrook et al). We have used Nytran and Hybond N
nylon filters, and have the same problem whether the filters have been baked
at 80 degrees or UV cross-linked after blotting. Has anybody had this
problem? Does anyone know whether we should expect to still see RNA by
methylene blue staining after hybridization? That is can anybody
confirm being able to see RNA on the filter after hybridization? Thanks for
your help. My news server has been very unreliable lately - e-mail would be
best.

Ed Stephenson
Dept of Biological Sciences
Univ of Alabama