DNA sequencer

TSRI Core Facility Bibbs at scripps.edu
Fri Sep 30 18:29:53 EST 1994

> We use an ABS 373A  sequencer which when it is working really gives no
> problems.  It breaks down about 1/month, usually in the middle of a run so
> that you lose the entire gel, not to mention samples and about $200 worth of
> reagents
>
> I have heard tell of a lab in Cambridge that has 4 of these things and never
> has all 4 running at once.
>
> My advice: A working DNA sequencer takes a lot of time and hassle out of
> sequencing, but requires a department with good infrastructure and
> maintainance money that they are prepared to spend on a maintainance contract
> with ABS

I have had just the opposite experience.  I have two sequencers and they
are working all of the time (each 5 gels/week).  If there is ever a
problem it is usually a poorly poured gel, or a computer problem.  We have
gotten around both of these problems by just loading 1/2 of our
resuspended reaction.  It give us more than enough signal and if something
happens, we have the other half to load the next day.
At some point your laser will go out but if you only load 1/2 then there
is no loss of sample.  I do carry maintenance contracts on both but I
hardly ever see my engineer.
Lisa
.

.