Automated Sequencers

John E. Fox altabios at bham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 04:49:52 EST 1994

In article <36ff9s$jtn at news.cerf.net>, kedziekm at class.class.org (Allergan) says:

>Our lab is suddenly in the situation where we have the funds available to
>buy an automated DNA sequencer.  I would appreciate any input as to
>recommended companies/machines to check out (or avoid).  Opinions as to
>ease of use, time to learn the protocol, potential problems, and how well
>this piece of equipment would fit into a multi-user facility where no one
>would be in charge are appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Karen M. Kedzie, Ph.D.
>Allergan Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
>Irvine CA  92715
>
>kedziekm at class.org

I think that first of all someone should be in charge, otherwise you just get
chaos. Someone should specify protocols etc and probably do the gel

We run a core service offering DNA sequencing, (amongst other things). We have an
ABI 373 machine. It works well and we get good data off it, it is expensive to maintain
and the kits are expensive as well. We charge for use of the service and this really sorts
out the people who are working correctly and those who are playing at it.
The protocols are fairly easy to pick up and the machine is fairly easy to operate.
We currently run 24 lane gels and find that the 36 lane combs can give some difficulties
with lane tracking. Typically you can expect one run per day.
Don't buy an expensive colour laser printer from ABI, we have a HP1200 desk jet.