CALL FOR VOTES for b.m.proteins.fluorescent

Dave Bates dobates at ucdavis.edu
Mon Apr 3 15:40:52 EST 1995

This has been posted in bionet.general. I'm crossposting it to the
relevent nesgroups so you can vote for it. Please. Thank you.

Voting is now open on the following proposal to create the mailing
list & newsgroup

FLUORESCENT-PROTEINS/
The charter was not modified as a result of the discussion.

*** NOTE *** We are often running several votes for other newsgroups,
so please be certain to follow the voting directions *carefully*!  If
you just send in a message saying "YES" or "NO" it will not be counted
if it is not clear which proposal you are responding to.

Proposed e-mail addresses:    fluorpro at net.bio.net
                              fluorpro at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion Leaders:
Paul Kitts              e-mail: paulki at clontech.com
Steve Kain              e-mail: stevek at clontech.com

Bioluminescence, the production of visible light by living
organisms, is a fascinating biological phenomenon. In addition,
bioluminescent organisms have provided biologists with several
powerful research tools: Luciferases which are used as highly
sensitive quantitative reporter genes, Aequorin which is used to
report on intracellular levels of Ca++ ions, the pycobiliproteins,
and most recently Green fluorescent protein (GFP) which is a
novel reporter that can be used to monitor gene expression and
protein localization inside living cells and organisms.

This newsgroup is intended to provide a forum for discussion of
bioluminescence, to promote further development of reporter
proteins obtained from bioluminescent organisms, and to
facilitate their application to interesting biological
questions.

We anticipate that the participants in this newsgroup will be:
- scientists studying the biology and biochemistry of
  bioluminescence.
- scientists developing new or improved fluorescent proteins,
  luciferases or aequorin-like proteins.
- scientists using these reporter proteins in their research.
- scientists developing instruments for the imaging or
  quantitation of the light emitted by these reporters.

The newsgroup is intended to provide :
- a forum for the discussion of ideas, problems and recent
  developments concerning light emitting reporter proteins.
- a place for sharing unpublished results, both successes and
  failures.
- a source of help on methodological and technical problems.
- opportunities for collaborative efforts between labs.

The newsgroup will run unmoderated but we are willing to act as
coordinators.

Paul Kitts & Steve Kain
CLONTECH Laboratories
Palo Alto, California.

Voting is now open on the proposal for
FLUORESCENT-PROTEINS/bionet.molbio.proteins.fluorescent and will run
through 24:00 hrs Pacific Time on 2 May 1995.  Please send your
vote to either of the following addresses:

Address                               Location        Network
-------                               --------        -------
biovote at daresbury.ac.uk               U.K.            JANET
biovote at net.bio.net                   U.S.A.          Internet/BITNET

PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE FORMAT BELOW - WE OFTEN RUN MORE THAN ONE
VOTE AT A TIME SO A SIMPLE "YES" OR "NO" MESSAGE WITHOUT THE NEWSGROUP
NAME MAY BE AMBIGUOUS.  Your vote should contain a single line:

YES on FLUORPRO

if you favor allowing the creation of this newsgroup or

NO on FLUORPRO

-
Dave Bates PhD                                     Tel: 916 752-7081
Postdoctoral Researcher                            Fax: 916 758-2554
Dept of Human Physiology                         email:
dobates at ucdavis.edu
University of California at Davis                drink: anything
Davis, California 95616, USA            No I don't have a sense of
humour
                                                now buy me a beer