HEK 293 expression of receptors

Carsten E. Stidsen ces at novo.dk
Tue Apr 4 01:44:02 EST 1995

Hi netters:

Recently, I realized that the HEK 293 cell line (ATCC CRL-1573) is
hypotriploid with approx. 30% triploid cells and 4.2% of higher ploidity.
When using this cell line for permanent expression of receptors what
would the likelihood be that you over time will get a cell line with
another phenotype than the clone you initially picked? Would it be fair
to compare ligand binding and functional properties of mutant or chimeric
receptors at different passage # in this cell line?

Please post your ideas, feelings or experiences on this matter to me.
--
Carsten E. Stidsen, Ph.D.
Novo Nordisk A/S