HPLC columns

Denni Schnapp ds4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Apr 7 10:59:54 EST 1995

Dear bionetters,

We are currently thinking of buying an HPLC column for peptide separation (6-10
KDa) as it has turned out that our old one is either unsuitable or clogged
(it is 5 years old) or both. We have to order the thing very soon as the work is
currently in a rush but on the off-chance that somebody with knowledge is
checking the newsgroup over the weekend here is the question:

I am looking for a C-18 RP column 25 cm long, 4.6 mm inner diameter, 5 micron
particle size and 300 angstrom pore size which I was assured are the ideal
dimensions for the job. To this I hope to attach a suitable 2 cm pre-column.
It turns out that there is a bewildering range of matrixes available (every
company seems to make their own...) and a wide range of prices ranging from ca
130 pounds to small fortunes (I do not think I have seen the upper limits, yet.
I would like to hear from people who have experience in peptide separation
by RP HPLC using different matrixes (supercosil, baker bond, apex, nucleosil
and whatnot) to identify a brand that is both good and cheap (in fact, the
cheaper,the better!) I am mainly interested in UK suppliers.
Thank you very much for your assistance!

~r sig