Help ! Protein synthesis/transduction

rajesk rajeshk at daisy.cc.utexas.edu
Sun Apr 9 16:48:24 EST 1995

Hi,

I am posting this for a friend. Please post the responses here or mail to

vaishali at jove.acs.unt.edu

Many research papers on signal transduction, especially, second
messengers, have one experiment when trying to elucidate activation of
second messenger in response to any growth factor: Inhibition of protein
synthesis with the help of general transcrition inhibitor like
actinomycin D. The results of these experiments say that active protein
synthesis is necessary for mediating second messenger response.

The question is, what can one directly tell from this experiment? If it is
second messenger response, how can we say that it requires protein synthesis as
actinomycin will inhibit synthesis of all proteins ?

Thanks

Rajesh